"...Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will take joy in the God of my salvation." Habakkuk 3:18

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Sweet things my children say and do...

I am amazed sometimes at the things my kids say and do.  I wanted to share a couple of their latest.

Last month, our church encouraged us to participate in a 21 day fast.  This was part of an awakening movement for us to draw closer to God and see Him at work.  Doug & I each chose to give up something and the kids were given a calendar that they could follow.  Each day on the calendar had something that they would give up for that day (TV, sweets, computers, etc).  About 3 days into the fast, Joshua told me he wasn't going to have chocolate milk for dinner that night.  He usually gets chocolate milk, since he really needs those extra calories.  I asked why and he said, "If you are not going to drink Diet Coke then I'm not going to drink chocolate milk".  I told him it would still be for a few more weeks and he said, "That's okay, I don't need to drink chocolate milk".  And that little guy didn't drink any chocolate milk during the rest of the 21 days.  We hadn't even made a big deal of them giving up something - we just asked them to try and follow the calendar.  They did great through the 3 weeks and even did good on the last 3 days of giving up sweets, TV and computers.  I just love how observant Joshua is at times and how he really gets things.

On this past Monday, both kids were home for President's day and we had a good time playing and watching TV.  It was nice to just be able to hang out with them for a while.  Allison decided she wanted to make cards for me & Doug and she was so excited about it.  She decided to place them on each of our pillows, along with a piece of chocolate from her Valentine's candy stash.  She could not wait for us to see them and immediately wanted Daddy to look on his bed right when he got home - she couldn't stand the wait.  I don't have to guess what her love language is - she loves to shower people with gifts, wrapping them and creating cards.

What a blessing they are to us!!



No comments:

Post a Comment