Moving
After years of talking about moving, in March, we decided to put our house on the market to see if it would sell. After some busy weeks of digging through closets and finding things we hadn't touched since moving into the house in 2000 - we made lots of trips to Goodwill. Then, after a renting a storage shed to house a lot of our stuff - we were ready to put it on the market. We apprehensively started looking at new homes and meeting with a builder about building a new home, but we weren't ready to do anything until our house sold. In May, while Doug and I were in Dallas for a mini-getaway - we got the call with an offer on the home and after a couple of days of negotiations, we had a contract and were on our way! Now we had to really get moving on the home buying. We decided to go with a builder and get what we wanted in our house and stay in the same school district. Unfortunately, that meant finding somewhere temporarily to live. So, we rented a 2 bedroom apartment, put most of our stuff in storage and made the move. We closed on our home on July 22nd and stayed in an apartment until November. We closed on our brand new home on November 10th and we love it. We are the only house on our street, so we just like to imagine that we just bought a bunch of land...and this is all ours. :) It has been great to have more room, let the kids have their own rooms, and have a basement!
![]() |
| Our new home after the first snow fall |
Marathon
In January of 2011, after a lot of fun discussions with family and my awesome running partner, Stacy - I decided to run a full marathon. I had read a great article discussing the best first marathons and thought the Portland, Oregon marathon sounded like a great option and a fun place for our family to visit. Stacy was going to train for the Des Moines race while I trained for mine. Training began in June for the race in October and there were a lot of early mornings runs all summer long! I look back and still can't believe I woke up at 4:45 am to be out running by 5:15 am on many mornings, but avoiding the hot temps made it worthwhile. We had some great runs and it was so much fun to have someone to train with. The plan was to run the marathon with Doug, his dad and his sister, but due to medical issues - it ended up being me and my father-in-law, Doug. I couldn't have asked for a better race partner than someone who was running his 20th marathon! Marathon training does take over your life for a few months and it became all I thought about, talked about and planned for. I don't think I could commit to one every year...but, I'm ready to start planning my next one for 2013. I'll try to write another post about that great trip, but I can say that Oregon is a beautiful place to visit!
Just a Mom
Allison finished preschool in May of 2011 and we registered her for kindergarten at the time. As the summer went by and as I realized that I would no longer be a mom of a preschooler...I kind of struggled with what I was. I was no longer a mom of a baby, preschooler, child at home...I was now just a mom. I know I was still mom of Joshua and Allison, but it's hard when it's not the major part of your daily activities. I love having the chance to continue staying home and it allows me to get a lot done during the day. Joshua still has a lot of doctor appts, therapy visits, etc, so it would be hard to actually try to fit a work schedule in there, too. I keep focusing on the fact that being a mom is my job now and even though the mornings can start early & the nights can sometimes go late - there is nothing I'd rather be doing.
Well, that is all for now. I better get this posted today or I might never get it done. Hopefully more to come....

No comments:
Post a Comment